Preferred Provider Negotiators (“PPN”) respects the personal privacy of all users of optimum.ppn.co.za / ppn.co.za (the “Website”) and all customers of PPN. We therefore take all our obligations for processing personal information, very seriously.
We also voluntarily subscribe to the principles, outlined in Section 51 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 2002 (“ECT Act”), which govern your right to having your personal information kept private. The principles contained can be summarized as follows –
- We will only collect, disclose, collate, process and store (“use”) your personal information with your express written permission unless legally required to do so, and will only use such information for the lawful purpose for which it is required.
- We will disclose in writing, the specific purpose for which we use, request and store your personal information. We will also keep a record of that personal information and the specific purpose for which we collect it.
- We will not use your personal information for any other purpose, other than that which we disclosed to you, unless you give us your express written permission to do so, or unless we are permitted to do so by law.
- You hereby provide us with your express written permission to use your personal information, share certain of your personal information with an affiliate party (which includes companies within the KFML Group Limited and other business partners), to analyse and combine your personal information for the purposes of compiling a profile of you, and to send promotional material to you in the ordinary course of our business of providing you with the services. Should you wish to provide us consent to send you promotional content, kindly fill in Form 4, page 18, contained in this link: Click Here
PERSONAL INFORMATION DEFINED IN TERMS OF THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT (“POPI”)
Means information relating to an identifiable and existing natural person and/or a juristic person, including, but not limited to, information in respect of –
- Race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well- being, disability, religion, conscience, belief culture, language and birth of the person;
- Any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- The biometric information of the person;
- The personal opinions, views or preference of the person;
- Correspondence sent by the person that is of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- The views and opinion of another individual about the person; and
- The name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about that person.
WHICH PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
The information of all users of the Website but in particular the information of PNSP’s that use the Website to submit claims and including, but not limited to, the information of the patients as contained in the claims submitted by the PNSP.
PURPOSE FOR COLLECTING AND USING THE INFORMATION
In order to make your use of this Website and all products and services offered on this Website as successful and pleasurable as possible, it is necessary for us to find out exactly what you need and want from us. The following are reasons why we would collect your personal information –
- to identify you;
- in order for us to process your instructions or requests, including but not limited to, processing data in order to validate and verify the submitted claims in accordance with clinical and prescribed rule sets;
- in order for us to ensure that we meet your needs, we may collect and analyse your personal information and combine all the information that we have about you to compile a profile of you in order for us to personalise and tailor our services to meet your specific needs.
Once we have collected and analysed your personal information, we may send you promotional material or details which we think may be of interest to you. If any of this promotional information relates to products, promotions, news or services of an affiliate party, and if you indicate that you would like more details, we may inform the affiliate party to contact you directly. We will, however, only inform an affiliate party to contact you directly if you have indicated that this is agreeable to you.
Your privacy is important to us. We will therefore not sell, rent or provide your personal information to unauthorised entities or other third parties, for their independent use, without your consent.
If at any stage, after you have given us your consent, you no longer wish us to use or share your personal information with an affiliate party, you may at any stage withdraw your consent.
PROTECTION AND SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We value the information that you choose to provide us with and will therefore take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, or unauthorised alteration. The information we maintain concerning our PNSP’s and their patients’ information is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of that information. All information that is transferred by us to other parties, but in particular Medical Aids and optometric practices, is encrypted to ensure the integrity of the information.
When you use the services or facilities provided by us, you may be given an access number, user name, password and/or personal identification number (PIN). You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy and confidentiality of your user name, access card, password and/or personal identification number ('PIN').
ACCURATE AND UP TO DATE
We will try to keep the personal information we collect as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes mentioned in the paragraphs above. From time to time we will request you to update your personal information on the Website. You are able to review or update any personal information that we hold on you by accessing your account online or by emailing us or phoning us. Please note that in order to better protect you and safeguard your personal information, we do take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your account or making any corrections to your personal information.
CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you ever want to update or correct any of your personal information held by PPN, you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can phone our membership department on 041 506 5900.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only retain your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes clause, unless:
- retention of the record is required or authorised by law; or
- you have consented to the retention of the record.
During the period of retention, we will continue to abide by our protection and security obligations and will not share or sell your personal information.
PERSONAL INFORMATION OF CHILDREN
We undertake not to process personal information concerning a child unless we have the prior consent of the person who is legally competent to consent to any action or decision being taken in respect of any matter concerning a child. Where PNSP’s submit claims, which contain the details of a child the competent party of the child has consented to the processing of the personal information of the child.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Our service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations (fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, technology services), which contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
If you contact us regarding your experience with using any of our products, we may disclose your personal information as required of by law or governmental audit.
We may disclose personal information if required:
- by a subpoena or court order;
- to comply with any law;
- to protect the safety of any individual or the general public;
- to prevent violation of our terms of service.
We may disclose aggregate statistics (information about the customer population in general terms) about the personal information to advertisers or business partners.
We may need to disclose personal information to our employees that require the personal information to do their jobs.
TRANSFER OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF SOUTH AFRICA
You should be aware that many countries do not afford the same legal protection to personal information as you might enjoy in your country of origin. While your personal information is in another country, it may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities in that country in accordance with its laws. Subject to such lawful access requests, we promise that anyone processing your personal information outside your country of origin is required to implement measures to protect it and is only entitled to process it in accordance with PPN’s instructions.
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorised access and use. As effective as modern security practices are, no physical or electronic security system is entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the complete security of our database, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet. Any transmission is at your own risk. In the event that there is an interception of your personal information or unauthorised access or use of our database, we will not be liable or responsible for any resulting misuse of your personal information.
We have no control over the contents of third party sites or resources which are linked to the Website and we accept no responsibility or liability for them or the privacy practices they use or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of such websites or resources.
We are not responsible for, give no warranties, nor make any representations in respect of the privacy policies or practices of any third party Websites.